Wilderness

Wilderness

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act, Everglades National Park and its partners proudly hosted the Everglades Wilderness Writing Expedition! This program engaged 10 aspiring writers and journalists, ages 18-25, on an exploration of wilderness, self-discovery and environmental writing. These aspiring writers embarked on the journey of a lifetime to discover the beauty and complexity of the Everglades wilderness.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

All The Stars (By Johanna Piard)

All of the Stars It was the night of Halloween, when I first laid eyes on the night sky. I have seen the sky countless times before but no time can ever measure up to the sight that I was gifted that night. Within seconds the sky that was dimly lit by the descending sun was an array of yellows, oranges, dark blues and purples. The colors ruffled and danced like a silk sheet in the breeze. Hours turned into seconds, when I first caught sight of the ever burning North Star. Slowly, the stars made themselves known, their brightness contrasting with the Navy sky. I begin to make out the clusters of the constellations upon remembering their names through what one of the writers told me. As the hours creped by, I looked up to the sky to witness the movements of the constellations, trying to guess the time. As I finally laid in my sleeping bag consumed in my bug net hammock completely protected from the chilling air I stared at the sky through the protective net. All that I could think of was you. Much like the stars on top of me you were miles and miles away. Enclosed in concrete walls, warm and safe, thinking of me. I wish you were here laying next to me holding me, telling me that you are proud of me as you kiss my forehead. I am not thinking that I am on a raft island, in a small cove, surrounded by mangrove trees, or the fact that I have lost feeling in my hands and toes to the bitter cold. All I can think of you and your undying spirit. A star suddenly shot through the sky as if responding to my thoughts. I closed my eyes as a tear ran down my cheek. My numb fingers took hold of your necklace as I felt sleep take over my senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment