Wilderness

Wilderness

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act, Everglades National Park and its partners proudly hosted the Everglades Wilderness Writing Expedition! This program engaged 10 aspiring writers and journalists, ages 18-25, on an exploration of wilderness, self-discovery and environmental writing. These aspiring writers embarked on the journey of a lifetime to discover the beauty and complexity of the Everglades wilderness.

Friday, October 24, 2014

A Poem by Alexandra Mosquera



The Everglades. Part of Nature, part 


of me.


See through water, dirt moving wherever I step, the smell? Nature.
When did this become what it is? It was here before I existed and will still be here after I’m long gone.
Majestic trees, endless water, soft-cool breeze, little insects and spiders next to me. This is Nature, this is wilderness.
I am part of it, it is part of me. This is the Everglades.
Don’t make me go away, please Ranger Ryan! Don’t ask me to leave! I want to stay, no need to move, no need to talk, just breathe, just look, just be.

No comments:

Post a Comment